Can you believe we’re almost a month into summer? The weather in Southwestern Ontario has been flip-flopping and lately it has settled on humid. This has sent many of us indoors to somewhere cool and dry.
While this may be another summer with uncertainties, we don’t want to let it simply pass us by.
Let’s try to remember to take opportunities to relish in one another’s company, enjoy the sunshine while it’s here, and make the most of it!
There is a time for everything, and a season for every activity under the heavens – Ecclesiastes 3:1 (NIV)
We’ve compiled a list of fun activities your family can complete together!
- Pack a picnic and go to the beach, don’t forget sunscreen and towels!
- Grab your favourite takeout food and have a picnic at the park. Bring a frizbee or football!
- Go for a bike ride around your town
- Go for a trail walk; remember water and snacks!
- Go to the African Lion Safari
- Go to the Toronto Zoo – or, if you’re not yet ready to attend a public place in person, check out these Zoo cams: https://zoo.sandiegozoo.org/live-cams, https://nationalzoo.si.edu/webcams, https://www.earthcam.com/events/animalcams/
- Have a water balloon/water gun fight in your backyard
- Jump through the sprinkler, or swim in your pool if you have one
- Grab a blanket, a book, and head to a shady tree at a park or in your backyard. Read together!
- Set your alarm for early and drive out to meet the sunrise! Take lots of photos.
- Have a family photo shoot – dress up, dress down, dress in theme. Set a timer on your phone or camera and have fun with it!
- Play minute-to-win-it games, setting up is half the fun! Some outdoor game inspiration can be found here: https://happyhomefairy.com/minute-to-win-it-games-for-summer-fun/
- Put on a lemonade stand for your neighbourhood. Take it up a notch and bake cupcakes (can be from a box!) or cookies too!
- Complete a scavenger hunt around your city; split your family into teams and try to race one another. Half the fun is in creating the list of items you need to find!
- Play Ultimate Ninja Warrior at your nearest playground. See who can get through the different elements (monkey bars, ladders, rock-walls, etc) the quickest.
- Go for a walk to your nearest ice cream shop and get something tasty!
- Plant a garden, inside or out! If you don’t have a lot of space, try a small potted plant on your porch. If you can, try a vegetable like cucumbers or tomatoes.
- Think about your fall courses!
And most importantly, take some time to pray and thank God for the time you get to spend together.