10. Supports and Resources
10.1 Guidance and Student Services
Christian Virtual School provides individual student support with respect to education planning, general guidance, course selection, and student success. The school’s guidance team can provide support in:
- helping students in academic planning and course selection;
- helping students seek out special pathways that support their learning styles, interests, and needs;
- helping students envision a plan for post-secondary and target short and long-term goals;
- providing information around all post-secondary pathways and career pathways;
- identifying and providing intervention and support for students at risk of not graduating;
- supporting students in establishing effective study habits and exam preparation; and/or
- coaching in the scholarship application process;
If at any time a student wishes for support in one of these areas, they are welcome to reach out to Christian Virtual School and talk directly to a member of the guidance team.
10.2 Education and Career/Life Planning
In alignment with the Ontario Ministry of Education, Christian Virtual School has the same objective that students leave secondary school with a clear plan for their initial post-secondary destination, whether in apprenticeship training, college, community living, university, or the workplace. We also feel it is important that students have confidence in their ability to implement, and revise or adapt their plan throughout their lives.
Christian Virtual School is continuously building out supports for students regarding education and career/life planning. Currently, Christian Virtual School provides support and resources to students by:
- providing individual assistance and short-term counseling to students, when requested;
- providing current information on post-secondary programs and admission requirements to all of its college and university bound students;
- communicating directly with Ontario Universities Application Centre and Ontario College Application Service regarding student achievement;
- communicating directly with post-secondary institutions regarding student achievement;
In addition, our courses are built to:
- support students in identifying their personal interests, strengths, needs, and aspirations;
- encourage students to use this knowledge of themselves to inform their choices of programs and learning opportunities;
- provide students with a range of diverse and engaging learning opportunities, courses, and programs; and
- highlight all post-secondary destinations including apprenticeship training, college, community living, university, and the workplace.
Lastly, for students who are the sole responsibility of Christian Virtual School, we provide access to myBlueprint as a tool to allow students to develop an Individual Pathways Plan and make informed decisions about their future. This tool helps students:
- discover their learning and personality styles, interests, desired knowledge, and motivation factors;
- plan their high school course selections to meet graduation requirements;
- explore post-secondary and career databases;
- record important experiences, activities, achievements, and skills to build resumes and cover letters; and
- learn real world skills that help them set and work towards goals.
It is Christian Virtual School’s desire that, with these supports, students can achieve their personal goals and become confident, successful, and contributing members in their community.
10.3 English Language Learners
Although all our courses are only offered in English at this time, Christian Virtual School welcomes students learning the English language. Students do need to meet a baseline proficiency level to access the content, but Christian Virtual School teachers are responsible for helping students develop their English literacy skills no matter the course they are enrolled in.
Upon enrollment, students are asked if they would like to provide information about their English language background, and this information is used by our teachers to help them adjust their feedback and suggest accommodations within the courses. English language learners are encouraged to reach out to their teacher or the Christian Virtual School administration to talk about the accommodation options in their courses.
In addition, Christian Virtual School provides all of our students access to ReadSpeaker within our courses. This provides support to ELL students by:
- providing a text to speech application that allows students to choose between reading the content and listening to it;
- allowing for adjustable reading speeds to help with comprehension;
- utilizing a built-in translation tool to help students with words they may not be familiar with;
- utilizing a built-in dictionary to help students with words they may not be familiar with; and
- supporting writing by providing word prediction, spell check, dictation options, and text read back within the learning environment.
Christian Virtual School courses are made to offer flexible, personalized learning experiences. By maintaining an asynchronous model, students can move through their courses at their own pace, ensuring they are able to take the time they need to understand concepts or work with their teacher if they hit roadblocks. Christian Virtual School courses also incorporate choice, allowing students to submit work in a variety of mediums or formats to communicate their ideas.
In addition to the accommodations built into the courses, Christian Virtual School can (and will) implement the accommodations that are listed in a student’s Individual Education Plan (IEP). Such accommodations will be applicable to the online learning environment. Common assessment accommodations include providing extra time for tests and exams, scribing, the use of assistive technology and not penalizing for spelling or comparable mechanical errors. If a student does not have an IEP, similar accommodations may still be made in special circumstances but do require documentation from a consulting physician or other qualified professional.
It is a part of our mission to remove barriers to Christian education, and accessibility is at the forefront of this initiative. As we continue to improve our framework, we encourage families to reach out to the Christian Virtual School Principal directly about your family’s needs to help us prioritize our development.