The administration and guidance teams at Christian Virtual School support each student throughout their academic journey. The teams should be the student and family’s first point of contact for any questions about the school experience, enrollment requests, transitioning to high school, and communication with other schools.
The administration team will support Christian Virtual School students in several ways, including:
- Communicating with a student’s main school of registration to update their Ontario Student Transcript and Ontario Student Record.
- Providing guidance to all students related to course selection, post-secondary plans, and diploma requirements.
- Evaluating prerequisite requirements, completing equivalent credit assessments, and facilitating Reach Ahead enrollment requests.
The administration team is available by phone or email Mondays through Fridays from 9am-5pm EST.
Students move through a course with the same teacher from beginning to end and can reach out to their teachers with any questions. Teachers are there to facilitate, provide feedback, grade assessments, and work with their students to ensure they are meeting the academic standards of Christian Virtual School.
Christian Virtual School teachers should be a student’s first point of contact for any questions about the course content. The teachers are experts in their subject areas and in teaching online.
Teachers are available through email, and they respond within 24 hours.
Our courses offer flexible, personalized learning experiences. By maintaining an asynchronous model, students move through their courses at their own pace, ensuring they are able to take the time they need to understand concepts or work with their teacher if they hit roadblocks. Our courses also incorporate plenty of choice, allowing students to submit work in a variety of mediums or formats to communicate their ideas.
In addition to the accommodations built into the courses, Christian Virtual School can (and will) implement the accommodations that are listed in a student’s Individual Education Plan (IEP). Such accommodations will be applicable to the online learning environment. Common assessment accommodations include providing extra time for tests and exams, allowing scribing, the use of assistive technology, and not penalizing for spelling or comparable mechanical errors. If a student does not have an IEP, similar accommodations may still be made in special circumstances but do require documentation from a consulting physician or other qualified professional.
Our mission includes the removal of barriers to Christian education, and accessibility is at the forefront of this initiative. As we continue to improve our framework, please do not hesitate to reach out about your family’s needs to help us prioritize our development.
English Language Learners
Although all our courses are offered only in English at this time, Christian Virtual School welcomes students learning the English language. Students do need to meet a baseline proficiency level to have access to the content, but Christian Virtual School teachers are responsible for helping students develop their English literacy skills in all courses.
Upon enrollment, students are asked if they would like to provide information about their English language background, and this information is used by our teachers to help them adjust their feedback and suggest accommodations within the courses. English language learners are encouraged to reach out to their teachers or to the Christian Virtual School administration to talk about accommodation options in their courses.
In addition, Christian Virtual School provides all of our students access to ReadSpeaker within our courses. This provides support to ELL students by:
- providing a text-to-speech application that allows students to choose between reading the content and listening to it;
- allowing for adjustable reading speeds to help with comprehension;
- utilizing a built-in translation tool to help students with unfamiliar words;
- utilizing a built-in dictionary to help students with unfamiliar words; and
- supporting writing by providing word prediction, spell check, dictation options, and text read back within the learning environment.