Today, April 22, 2022, is Earth Day. Begun as a movement in the United States in 1970, Earth Day gained momentum and by 1990 had gone global. Now, billions of people participate every year in the support of the protection of our Earth.
What does this mean for us as Christians? Well, as followers of Christ, we are called to be Stewards of the Earth.
“The Lord God took the man and put him in the Garden of Eden to work it and take care of it” – Genesis 2:15 (NIV)
Tasked by the Lord, we are responsible for how well we take care of and respect His handiwork.
“for, “The earth is the Lord’s, and everything in it.” – 1 Corinthians 10:26 (NIV)
This year’s Earth Day theme is “Invest in Our Planet” So today, as Christians, how can we both serve our God, be responsible stewards, and invest in our planet? Below is a list of some things you can do from the comfort of your own home:
- Calculate your carbon footprint and turn it into a forest
- Donate to plant a tree
- Plant a forest
- Start a wildflower garden to help the bees; go to your local greenhouse for seeds, or order some online
- Try a simple act of green
- Become a citizen scientist
- Act on plastic pollution
- Find more ideas on earthday.org