Every student attending Christian Virtual School is unique. We believe each student must have the opportunities to achieve success according to their own interests, abilities, and goals. Like the Ministry of Education, we have defined high expectations and standards for graduation, while introducing a range of options that allow students to learn in ways that suit them best and enable them to earn their diplomas. Christian Virtual School’s Assessment, Evaluation, and Reporting Policy is based on seven fundamental principles, as outlined in the Growing Success: Assessment, Evaluation, and Reporting in Ontario Schools document.
When these seven principles are fully understood and observed by all teachers, they guide the collection of meaningful information that helps inform instructional decisions, promote student engagement, and improve student learning. At Christian Virtual School, teachers use practices and procedures that:
- are fair, transparent, and equitable for all students;
- support all students, including those with special education needs, those who are learning English, and those who are First Nation, Métis, or Inuit;
- are carefully planned to relate to the curriculum expectations and learning goals and, as much as possible, to the interests, learning styles and preferences, needs, and experiences of all students;
- are communicated clearly to students and parents or guardians at the beginning of the school year or course and at other appropriate points throughout the school year or course;
- are ongoing, varied in nature, and administered over a period of time to provide multiple opportunities for students to demonstrate the full range of their learning;
- provide ongoing descriptive feedback that is clear, specific, meaningful, and timely to support improved learning and achievement; and
- develop students’ self-assessment skills to enable them to access their own learning, set specific goals, and plan next steps for their learning.
For more information on Christian Virtual School’s assessment and evaluation strategies, you can refer to our Assessment, Evaluation, and Reporting Policy.
Each of our courses have been designed by a team of educators to create a environment infused with creativity, flexibility, choice, and variety, with the goal to help every student succeed. We also take into consideration a number of topics that span disciplines and ensure we incorporate these into each of our courses. The details of our Program Planning Considerations are available below, or as a downloadable PDF.